A great opportunity for six strong female actors.
Truvy Jones runs a successful beauty salon in Chinquapin, Louisiana, where all the ladies in the neighborhood have a standing Saturday appointment.
Along with her anxious and eager assistant, Annelle, Truvy styles the hair of many of the women about town: wealthy widow and former first lady of Chinquapin, Clairee Belcher; local curmudgeon Ouiser Boudreaux (“I’m not crazy, I’ve just been in a bad mood for forty years”); intelligent and compassionate career woman M’Lynn; and her daughter Shelby, the prettiest girl in town.
Shelby’s engagement is the talk of the town, but the joy and excitement of her wedding quickly turn to concern as she faces a risky pregnancy and a myriad of health complications. Eventually, when Shelby dies from complications related to her diabetes, M’Lynn has to deal with the most difficult of life’s challenges: the loss of one’s only child.
As the women of Chinquapin make their way over life’s many hurdles together, they find comfort (and a fair amount of verbal ribbing) in one another. “You have no idea how wonderful you are,” M’Lynn tells the ladies at the end. Truvy responds, with a smile: “Of course we do.”
- Truvy Jones: Playing age – 40s. Should be able to convince as a professional hair-stylist
- Shelby Eatenton-Latcherie: Playing age – mid 20s. Will need boyish, short hair for Act II
- Annelle Depuy-Desoto: Playing age – a little younger than Shelby. Should be able to convince as a professional hair-stylist
- Clairee Belcher: Playing age – 60s
- M’Lynn Eatenton: Playing age – 40s
- Ouiser Boudreaux: Playing age – 60s
Accent: All characters have a Deep South (Louisiana, USA) accent.
- Auditions: Monday 6th and Wednesday 8th February 2017
- Performances: Monday 15th to Saturday 20th May 2017
- Scripts: Available from the box office.